Have you been injured at Work in NSW?

If you are injured at work in New South Wales – NSW Workers Compensation “Workcover” Scheme .

The NSW workers compensation scheme is complex. Competent legal representation is essential.

Personal Injury Specialist, Matthew Bridger (ILARS 00650) is registered as a Accredited Legal Service Provider (ALSPs) to the WorkCover Independent Review Office (“WIRO”).

You may be eligible for a grant for legal and associated costs (i.e. medical reports) provided by the Independent Legal Assistance and Review Service (ILARS). The grant commonly obtained by an ALSP who is acting for you is the grant for investigation of your claim to determine whether you are entitled to receive compensation.

In order for us to assist you by directing you to the right avenue for obtaining compensation, advice should be sought at an early stage, immediately after you have notified your injury to your employer.

Do not wait until you face problems such as when your workers compensation claim is refused by an insurer; when your weekly payments are reduced or stopped, or when you are in doubt whether the treatment/rehabilitation provided by the insurer is/has been effective.

How to start my workers compensation claim?

The NSW Workcover website provides a step by step guide as to how to make a Workcover claim:


In summary, you must first advise your employer that you were injured during the course of your work duties, and provide medical information such as a medical certificate. A claim for workers compensation should be made within six months of the date of the injury.

Once the employer advises their workers compensation insurer that their worker suffered an injury, the insurer must decide if it will start paying the injured worker the provisional liability payments within seven days. The insurer may make an immediate decision to refuse the claim or put forward a reasonable excuse to not start payments.

Once accepted, the insurer will continue investigating the facts and decide to either continue or stop further payments. The insurer must also decide how long provisional liability payments will continue. Provisional liability payment can only be paid up to a maximum of 12 weeks.

What are my entitlements?

An injured worker may be eligible for all or some of the following payments:

  • weekly benefits
  • medical or related treatment
  • occupational rehabilitation services
  • hospital treatment
  • travel expenses to attend appointments for medical and other treatment
  • lump sums for permanent impairment
  • lump sums for pain and suffering
  • damages under general law
  • when the injury results in the death of the worker, the dependent family members may be eligible for death benefits and/or funeral expenses

We are here to help. Contact our Litigation team for an obligation free consultation today.
p:  +61 2 6206 1300 | e:  Info@elringtons.com.au