By Tom Maling
For anyone considering whether they have a medical negligence claim as a result of a medication error, here are some key points:
- A doctor owes their patient a duty of care when giving advice about medications and when prescribing them.
- A doctor must review how you respond to a medication and monitor you for side effects.
- A doctor must warn about side effects which a reasonable patient would find significant, OR risks which because of your individual circumstances a reasonable doctor would think that you would find significant.
- Medical negligence claims can be about a failure to warn about a side effect which or because a medication was incorrectly prescribed.
Doctor’s duty of care
Medications and medical negligence
Medication side effects
Duty to warn about side effects
Incorrectly prescribed medications
Elrington’s health law
Matt Bridger and Tom Maling represent clients in medical negligence claims. We act for Canberra and the surrounding regions including NSW residents from Queanbeyan, Batemans Bay, Goulburn, Yass, Cooma, Bega and Merimbula areas, in both ACT and NSW claims.
Matt is an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law and has over 25 years of experience representing people in medical negligence matters, including small claims right up to multimillion dollar catastrophic injury claims. He has great medical knowledge across a whole range of areas and has conducted cases in general surgical, birth and obstetrics, dental, orthopaedics, pharmacological and cardiology negligence. Tom completed training as a Registered Nurse and has experience in hospitals and nursing homes. He also represents our clients on all medical negligence and treatment dispute claims. Our experience means we have insight into health issues, health service delivery, and most importantly our client’s experiences.
- What is Medical Negligence?
- elringtons Lawyers secures $12 million settlement for client
- Epilepsy and Bipolar Disorder medications linked to birth defects
- Epilepsy and Bipolar Medications may have effected 20000 UK Children
- elringtons health law update – adverse effects from Implanon and Mirena
To contact Matt or Tom or to make an appointment in either our Canberra or Queanbeyan office: