Advanced Health Care Directive and Appointment of Enduring Guardianships

If you are unwell or required to undergo surgery, you may wish to prepare a health care directive.

A health care directive (or advanced health care directive) is a document which records your wishes and expectations about your health care and medical treatment for the benefit of your Doctors or Guardians (or Power of Attorney, depending on what jurisdiction you are in) should you be in a position where you are seriously ill or injured and unable to make or communicate decisions about your care and treatment.[1]..

When completing your health care directive, it is important to discuss your wishes with your Doctors and loved ones.

Your health care directive should work in conjunction with your Appointment of Enduring Guardianship document which is where you legally appoint your guardian to ‘step into your shoes’ to make decisions regarding your health, medical or dental care on your behalf when you are unable to make those decisions yourself.

Your Appointment of Enduring Guardianship document may have directions and functions which are the same as what is in your health care directive and that is OK. This just means that you are directing your Guardian, through the document, to exercise certain powers which are also specified to be in your wishes in your health care directive.

If you wish, you may attach a copy of your health care directive to your Guardianship document, however, you may also have them separate and refer to your health care directive in your Guardianship document. This will allow you to change your wishes in your health care directive as desired, rather than executing a new Appointment of Enduring Guardianship document every time.

Consideration to your Appointment of Enduring Guardianship and Enduring Power of Attorney documents is an important aspect of your estate planning. For further assistance or questions regarding the contents of this article or your estate planning, please do not hesitate to contact our office on 02 6206 1300 or

[1] In New South Wales, the ‘Enduring Power of Attorney’ document comprises of two legal documents. The Appointment of Enduring Guardianship documents concerns medical, dental and health care matters and the Enduring Power of Attorney document concerns financial and property matters. In the ACT the ‘Enduring Power of Attorney’ is one document and concerns both aspects.

Wills & Estate FAQ

Paper cut out family

Can I stop my Will from being contested if I give away my assets before death?

There is a common misconception that it is possible to prevent a contest to your Will by giving away your ...
Wedding Rings

Marriage? Will this affect my Will?

In Australia, the laws governing marriage and divorce are legislated at the Commonwealth level of government. However, laws surrounding your ...
Family walking on beach

So you have a family trust – What happens when you die?

Trusts are a popular vehicle for business and investment of family assets because of the tax and asset protection advantages ...

Informal Wills – what happens if my Will is not legally valid?

The current COVID-19 pandemic has been a worrying time for all, particularly when it comes to our health and our ...
Social Media icons

What happens to my social media after I pass away?

By Annalyse Betts and Kerin Cotchett In 2020 most people use social media to communicate with friends and family or ...
Gift Bag - Image by OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay

What happens when I leave a gift to a charity and the charity later doesn’t exist?

What happens when I leave a gift to a charity and the charity no longer exists after my death? Many ...