We are trusted employment law specialists who have been providing expert services to employers in Canberra, Queanbeyan and surrounds for over 30 years. We provide services tailored to business needs, and pride ourselves on our pragmatic advice to business partners.
As an employer you may seek legal assistance with employment contracts, enforceable restraint of trade clauses, lawful and reasonable policies and procedures (including social media and COVID-19 directions), workplace disputes, workplace investigations, and termination of employment.
We are prepared to guide you through the employment relationship stages, starting with engagement of employees or contractors through to the termination of employment relationships. Our team has the knowledge and experience to provide you with expert legal support to limit risk, ensure you can manage human resources independently and only need legal services for exceptional cases.
Are you engaging an employee or independent contractor?
We will assist you with drafting or reviewing the contractual terms as well as workplace policies and procedures. Our experts will make sure that your workplace documents accurately reflect your needs in a lawful manner.
Has your employee filed an unfair dismissal claim against you?
Our employment experts will assess the claim and consider all the circumstances, including:
- Whether or not the employment relationship was terminated at the employer’s initiative;
- Whether or not the employee was forced to resign;
- Whether the dismissal was harsh, unjust or unreasonable;
- Whether the Small Business Fair Dismissal Code applies;
- Whether or not it is a case of genuine redundancy;
- Whether the unfair dismissal application was lodged in time.
We will advise you on the prospects of success of such a claim and recommend the best possible solution for you.
It is crucial that you respond to the employee’s application within 7 days. Our experts will assist you with gathering the relevant evidence and drafting your response so that it is filed with the Fair Work Commission in time. We are prepared to appear on your behalf before the Fair Work Commission (be it a conciliation or a hearing) and to protect your interests.
Do you have any other workplace concerns or enquiries?
Contact our team today to discuss how we can best help you. Elringtons Lawyers will provide you with expert legal support in the following areas:
- Employment contract review
- Advice on variation of employment
- Enforceable restraint of trade clauses
- Workplace policies and procedures
- Misconduct and termination of employment
- Workplace disputes and investigations
- Transfer of business
As an employer, we understand that your circumstances and needs are often unique and complex. Our solicitors have the expertise and experience to assist you in whatever matter you may require us to act in, regardless of size and complexity. The diverse experience of our team allows us to draw on more experience and resources to assist you.
- Matt Bridger has been representing workers and employers for 30 years;
- Denisa Zezulka has over 10 years of experience in employments contracts, misconduct, dismissal procedures and employment restructuring, amongst other matters;
- Tom Maling has a wealth of experience acting for workers and employers in discrimination and Fair Work Commission claims, including many claims where litigation has been avoided; and
- Gabby Bridger works with both employers and workers. She has experience drafting and advising on employment contracts and assisting workers with misconduct and disciplinary actions.
For more information or to make an appointment, contact our employment law team: